Coffee is one of the greatest beverages that people can drink. Not only does coffee have health benefits, but there is also a wide variety of it as well. If you are a fan of coffee, you might be wondering what is the difference between the various coffee varieties.
In this article, we are going to compare and contrast two coffee varieties: frappuccino and iced coffee. We will be telling you the different descriptions of taste that these two have and then narrow down on which one is the best. To start, we want to go over the difference between frappe and frappuccino.
Is A Frappe The Same As A Frappuccino?
Let us start by going over the difference between a frappe and a frappuccino. Despite the almost similar names of the coffee drinks, there are some differences that separate the two. Look at this chart that compares there differences:
- A frappe is a cold coffee beverage. Sometimes frappe doesn’t need caffeine to be made, but people can request caffeine in their frappe.
- The taste of a frappe depends on what additives a person puts in. The additives include sugar, milk, vanilla, and sweet sauces.
- There are different varieties of frappe. One of the most popular is the mocha frappe that you can order at the fast-food chain restaurant McDonalds.
- Frappuccino is made by combining flavors like caramel or chocolate, ice, and coffee.
- The name frappuccino is trademarked by Starbucks
- There are different frappuccino flavors, the two most popular being mocha and vanilla.
- If you want to have a hot coffee alternative to frappuccino, then you should get a cappuccino, a hot beverage that is similar to a frappuccino.
These are the differences between a frappe and a frappuccino. On the other hand, there are some similarities between these two. Both drinks are iced drinks of coffee and both drinks are sweet. Now that we discussed the differences between the two iced coffee beverages, do all frappuccinos have caffeine in them?
`We will answer this question in the next section.
Do All Frappuccinos Have Caffeine?
To answer this question, we need to look at the Starbucks frappuccinos and how much caffeine is in their beverages. In short, the caffeine content in Starbucks frappuccinos is low. In fact, frappuccinos have less caffeine than a regular cup of coffee! This is great for people who are sensitive to caffeine or want an option that doesn’t have too much of a coffee flavor.
The amount of caffeine in Starbucks frappuccinos depends on what type you order. Starbucks has different flavors to choose from, so we will list some of the frappuccinos here and their caffeine percentages from the highest to the lowest:
- Mocha Frappuccino- 110 MG
- Java Chip Frappuccino- 110 MG
- White Chocolate Mocha Frappuccino- 90 MG
- S’mores Frappuccino- 75 MG
- Red Velvet Cake Creme Frappuccino- 15 MG
There are other flavors that you can choose at Starbucks, but these are some of the options and their caffeine content.
The Taste Of Frappuccino
The taste of a frappuccino drink will vary depending on what flavor you get at Starbucks. On the internet, you can find articles about frappuccino drinks and people’s opinions on the taste of frappuccinos. According to Eat This, here is a list of the worst frappuccino tastes and a list of the best tastes:
- Toasted White Chocolate Mocha Frappuccino: Taste like your eating a candle, a crayon, or burnt rubber.
- Smoked Butterscotch Frappuccino: At the first sip, you get the butterscotch and mocha flavors, but once you continue drinking the beverage, it loses its flavor.
- Vanilla Bean Creme Frappuccino: Not enough vanilla flavoring in this frappuccino and it tastes like vanilla was mixed with water.
- Matcha Green Tea Creme Frappuccino: Too much bitterness and would need whipped cream to give it a more sweet flavor
- Double Chocolate Chip Frappuccino: Described as a next-level chocolate milkshake, this one has the rich chocolate taste.
- Mocha Frappuccino: This one is a perfect mixture of chocolate and coffee. It also has the taste of a dark chocolate shake.
- Strawberry Frappuccino: If you love yogurt, then this flavor is perfect for you! This one tastes almost like yogurt.
- Java Chip Frappuccino: This frappuccino is the ultimate drink for any chocolate lover. It even has more of a cocoa taste than the double chocolate chip.
These are the many types of flavors you can buy at Starbucks from the worst to the best according to Eat This. Of course, this is all an opinion and you might like the ones on the worst list. However, these are the descriptions of the flavor of each. Choose one that fits with your taste buds!
The Taste Of Iced Coffee
Also named cold brew coffee, iced coffee is a preferred beverage during the summertime. But, if we were to compare the taste of iced coffee and frappuccino, what is the difference? Iced coffee is made almost like hot coffee. However, it is more strong compared to hot coffee.
Therefore, when it is combined with ice, it will melt the ice and make the drink, “not watery“. Once the iced coffee is made, the taste of it will differentiate from hot coffee. It will taste light, refreshing, and less acidic (though this can alternate in taste depending on how many beans are used).
Now that we discussed the different tastes of a frappuccino and iced coffee, which one is the best?
Which Is Better – Frappuccino Or Iced Coffee?
If you want to know my opinion on which one is the best, it depends on what taste you want and how sweet you want your drink. Here is a comparison table that will help you determine which one you want:
- They are made with ice, therefore, the coldness of the drink would last longer.
- There are different flavors that you can choose from. This will give you the chance to try different ones.
- The only downside with frappuccinos is that you can only get it at Starbucks (though there are recipes you can find online to make your frappuccinos).
- Unlike frappuccinos, iced coffee can be bought at a store.
- You can put creamers, sugar, sweetener, or any flavoring in iced coffee. This also gives you full control over how many you want to put in.
- It is smoother than a frappuccino
- You can also make iced coffee at home.
With all this being said, it all depends on what you want. Personally, in my opinion, both of these drinks are perfect for the summer!